Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Draft Review

My draft was on Saturday and it turned out to be very interesting. We are a very competitive league, but there were a couple things that surprised me. We did have one rookie drafter who actually had a great draft and didn't even have the worst draft. The first round was especially surprising as well. I’m going to tell you what I thought of the first round, what I thought were the biggest steals of the draft, and what I thought were the worst picks.
Here is what our first round looked like and what I thought of each pick:
Pick 1:   Adrian Peterson – This was a given and I have nothing to say about it really. He was the best player in the draft by far.
Pick 2:   Peyton Manning – What?!?!? This threw off the whole draft. Yes he is a quarterback who will put up a ton of points. Who am I kidding; this is the worst pick in fantasy history. Manning wasn’t even the best quarterback in the draft! He would have fallen at least to the third or fourth round! Tom Brady, in our league, fell to the 3rd round and I would rank them about the same. This pick actually hurt me as well (I had the 10th pick) too.
Pick 3:   Arian Foster – Well this guy was too obvious. If you can get Arian Foster with the third pick it’s a steal.
Pick 4: Ray Rice – Rice was a good pick. We know he’ll get a lot of touches, will be consistent and will catch a lot of passes and is on a winning team which means he’ll score touchdowns. Everyone can find a reason not to draft Rice or to draft him here so I won’t argue much about it, but I like this pick.
Pick 5:   Jamaal Charles – yeah Charles is hurt right now, but I’m sure he’ll be ready for the season. Charles is an interesting pick this early. He will probably improve from last season because he’s definitely healed from his knee injury and he actually has a quarterback now. I find Charles to be a hit and miss kind of guy because he relies on the big play a lot even though he will still put up consistent numbers regardless. In my opinion I think this pick is fine. Charles will be a top ten running back this season so there’s really not much to say.
Pick 6:   CJ Spiller – Spiller is going to get a ton of carries. He is the focal point of his offense and there are really not many more weapons on the Bills. I love this pick. Spiller has top three running back potential this season.
Pick 7:   Trent Richardson – Richardson probably isn’t the best pick here. Lynch was still on the board as well as Doug Martin. Honestly I don’t love Martin, but he isn’t as injury prone as Richardson. Lynch was the best pick here but it isn’t a huge deal. Richardson could have a great season.
Pick 8:   Marshawn Lynch – Had to grab Lynch here. Really the only other option is Doug Martin who isn’t as consistent as Lynch.
Pick 9:   Doug Martin – Another given. He was the best running back on the board and he has huge potential. He was top three last year so he had to be grabbed here. The other options were only Aaron Rodgers and if there’s a good left you have to get him.
Pick 10: Aaron Rodgers – This was my pick. I didn’t like any of the rest of the running backs much. McCoy was there but I had him last season and he didn’t do great for me. Here I figured that Rodgers would score as much as the average quarter back, plus the difference between the average running back compared to a first round worthy running back. I’m obviously biased but I love the pick.
Pick 11: Calvin Johnson Jr. – Personally I would never draft Megatron in the first round, but I can’t really argue with the pick. He’s by far the best wide receiver in the draft and puts up tons of points even when he doesn’t score TD’s.
Pick 12: LeSean McCoy – I’m not a huge fan of McCoy but I think he’ll improve a lot this season with Chip Kelly. Also, the first pick of the second round is right there so there’s no risk. All you have to do here and all you have to do is pick your two top players in the draft.
So there’s my take on our first round. If Peyton Manning didn’t go first round and the guy picking second had just went with Foster I could have gotten Doug Martin, but I’m happy with Rodgers anyway.  Later in the draft there were a couple steals I loved and some picks that just baffled me.
I’ll start the rest of this piece by saying which picks I thought were the top five steals and why.
Cam Newton fell to 6th pick in the 5th round. I love this pick. Newton isn’t really that impressive on the field, but in fantasy he is amazing and often overlooked. Newton really should have gone in the late third round in my opinion maybe early to mid-fourth round at the latest.  
Rashard Mendenhall fell to the 10th in the 9th round. Mendenhall is a starting running back at the moment. Any guy that is starting should not fall to the 9th round no matter what team he is on and if he has rookies behind him. Mendenhall is proven and will get a lot of touches this season.
DeSean Jackson fell to the 10th pick in the 7th round. He is the number one receiver on a team that is going to improve a lot this season. Jackson has huge potential with big plays and touchdowns (as long as he doesn’t drop the ball before he crosses the plane of course!).
Matthew Stafford fell to the 10th pick in the 8th round. Stafford finally has a running back and he has Calvin Johnson Jr. to throw to. That’s pretty much all I have to say about him. Stafford will put up solid numbers every game because of Johnson alone and with a running back he can only improve.
Finally, Ryan Matthews went 11th pick in the 9th round. I’m not even sure I consider this a steal because it’s not like he was overlooked. We all knew what we would get if we drafted him. At this point in the draft he had to go. Any later and I would consider it more of a steal but it was just him being drafted after he was projected at because he is injury prone.
The worst picks of the draft were pretty obvious and I really could only think of a few of them. I hated Peyton Manning going in the first round. The fact that Jeremy Maclin got picked at all was ridiculous. Vernon Davis got picked in the fourth round was a terrible pick. Also two defenses, the Seahawks and the 49’ers, both went in the 6th round. Finally, Stephen Gostowski went in the 8th round which was baffling.
Alright, that’s all I’ve got to say on our draft. I’ll post again soon before the season starts about preseason injuries and waivers.
Here is what my team ended up looking like with the 10th pick. The round I got them in is in parentheses:
QB: Aaron Rodgers (1)
RB: Darren Sproles (2)
RB: Chris Johnson (3)
WR: Marques Colston (4)
WR: Pierre Garcon (5)
TE: Fred Davis (10)
Flex: DeSean Jackson (7)
K: Garret Hartley (13)
D/ST: Cowboys (12)
Bench: Eddie Lacy (6)
Bench: Sidney Rice (8)
Bench: Rashard Mendenhall (9)
Bench: Jacoby Jones (10)

No comments:

Post a Comment